So at the last minute I ditched the girl's face and redrew it, giving more emphasis to expression than making a perfect face. I like the result, and I think she turned out looking like Lea Michele from Glee!
I went heavy on the textures this time since I liked the result in the windmill illustration I did a month or so back. The illustration looks good next to the editorial illustrations I've been doing recently. My next project, and then I'll move on to working on my character design portfolio, is an illustrated magazine cover. I'll use the technique that I used to paint David Bowie (previous post).